Dog Proposal Ideas
Popping the question is big step, so it needs to be absolutely perfect — we may be biased, but including your dog makes it that much more special, fun and absolutely adorable. Check out a few of our absolute favorite proposal ideas.
Everyone knows the classic marriage proposal — tying the engagement around the dog’s collar. We absolutely love this idea, but we want to take it a step further. After all, it is a marriage proposal!
- Instead of just tying the ring around your dog’s collar, try opting to use ribbon or a floral collar. Your dog will look adorable and it will add a special touch to your proposal.
- Want something a little extra? Instead of just the ring, you could opt for a small box instead. Adds a little more elegance and protection too!
- Go even more above and beyond — set up ahead of time flowers (and candles if you can!) wherever you plan to propose. The moment she or he expects you to pull out a ring, call your dog into the room. We guarantee they will be completely shocked.
- Add some intrigue! Wait until she takes the dog for a walk and set up a trail of dog treats from the door to the living or bedroom. When they both arrive you can be waiting on your knee, ring in hand.
- Not sure when is a good time? Completely take them by surprise and send your dog into the room to wake him or her up with the ring around your pup’s collar.
Not sure you want to entrust your expensive diamond ring to your four legged friend? No problem! There are plenty of messages to send out that will really get their attention — especially if you include your dog!
- Go a subtle route and buy a personalized dog tag that says “Will You Marry Me?” or a personal message on it. Ask them to check out the new dog tag you just bought and get on one knee to propose.
- Instead of a dog tag write your significant other a love letter and have the dog deliver it to him or her. Not only can they keep the letter for years to come, but will always remember how they received it in such a special and adorable way.
- Make it even bolder by tying a cute sign around your dog’s neck that pops the question. They are sure to notice right away and it will be even cuter tied around your dog’s neck.
- Looking for something a little bit bigger? Set up ahead of time a “Will You Marry Me?” sign or banner in romantic place like the park or garden. Ask your boyfriend or girlfriend to go on a walk with you and the dog. You could both be there to propose together!
- Sometimes the cheesier the better! Order a custom made (or make it yourself!) sweater or shirt that says “Will You Marry Me?” for your dog to wear. Have your pup come out wearing the adorable outfit and propose.
Want to use your dog in a more adventurous and fun way? There are tons of options! And if your dog isn’t trained or great on commands, there’s always time for practice. Your significant other will be completely touched by the work put into your proposal.
- Train your dog to fetch on command (if they don’t know already!). When you’re getting ready to propose have them come back with the ring inside a cute toy or nice box.
- Set up a scavenger hunt that she or he has to go on with the dog. Include fun treats, sweet messages and places that important or significant to both of you.
- Do you have two pups? Try the scavenger hunt idea but have one dog with your significant other and the other dog waiting with you!
- Are you the outdoorsy types? Go on a hike with the dog that leads to a romantic picnic complete with roses, wine and most importantly, your adorable pup.
- Find out how much it costs to take out an ad in a local newspaper or magazine (or bigger magazine if you have the connections!). Put a photo in of your dog in a cute collar or bowtie with a banner or sign popping the question. Your loved one will be so blown away and you can keep the magazine for years as a sweet reminder of how you both got engaged.
Don’t have a dog?
If you can’t or don’t want to buy a dog, but still love the idea of including an adorable dog in your proposal there are tons of options.
We love that people include their dogs in such an exciting moment in a couple’s life. Make it even more adorable with a floral collar, ribbon or bow tie. Check out our recommended online vendors for bow ties, floral collars, personalized dog collars and more!
- Ask someone you know to borrow their dog for the proposal. Make sure you meet the dog ahead of time so they feel comfortable with you!
- Talk to a local pet store and see if there’s anyway you could use any of their dogs for the proposal. We happen to think a few puppies would be completely adorable.